Well, here we go again –
It’s Human Fax Report Part Two and you are here to check on your relationship value. I look forward to hearing about what you need to get fixed and how you are going to go about that fix…
I promise that if you take this seriously, it will help your relationships immensely…
- How is your Power Train (spiritual condition)? Are you connected to God?
- What sort of roads can you handle and do you tend to drive upon?
- How much mileage do you have? Were most of the miles easy or hard? How many miles to the gallon do you get? (Speaks of emotional/relational energy)
- Describe your make and model? Are you a Porsche or an Ice Cream Truck? What is your current price tag? How much are you worth in the Relationship Blue Book? What do you base that on?
- What parts have been taken from you? How have you been stripped? Do you sense that there are missing parts and what does that mean for you? Replacements?
- Have you been careful to have regular oil changes (emotional, spiritual, mental refills) or do you ride along until you hurt your overall condition causing permanent damage to self and others?
- What are the seemingly benign glitches you just let be? Why?
- How often do you get a wash? A detail?
- Who else besides you do you allow to drive your life?
- If you keep running as you are, how long do you think it will take for you to require a push? Who do you have in your life that you call on for a push?
- Can you move forward or do you just look backwards? Have good rearview mirrors? (Are the things of the past closer than they appear?)
- Are you high-maintenance requiring tons of upkeep by someone else or are you low-maintenance and able to roll on without much support from someone else?
- If someone kicked your tires, would they pop?
- What is your safety rating? Should people worry about crashing when driving along with you?
- Are you dependable?
- Can you be driven long-distances or do you overheat when you are made to wait?
- How many owners have you had? Did they treat you well? Rag you out?
- How big are your blind spots? What are things you cannot see to the right and left of you that threaten your safety if you make any sudden changes?
- Do your lights work?
- Do your brakes work? Can you put a stop to a relationship firmly or are you a brake pumper who can never seem to let go, even at obvious relational red lights?
- What sort of driver are you suited for?
- Do your windshield wipers work when a relational storm hits?
- Are there any dead things in your trunk needing to be confessed or buried?
- Are you a tow truck who makes a habit out of hooking up with broken down humans?
Human Fax summary: Once you get to know yourself as written about above, it is key that you do not let the information define you. Sometimes when we decide to take a closer look at ourselves, we get depressed by what we discover and identify ourselves with the findings. But, you are not necessarily what it is you found out. You are simply being affected by it.
Sure, the Blue Book might say you are worth five hundred dollars because you can only get around behind a tow truck. But truth is, you can and will be restored if you let yourself enter into a holistic process of healing and transformation.
Yes. You have been broken and some parts of you do not work as well as they should. And while these parts are causing all sorts of relationship problems for you right now, the time will come when you will leave the junkyard once and for all.
Suggestion: Get a pro therapist to help you deal with your emotional junk and then ask God to reveal your actual value. If you can find a spiritual director in your community, I’d recommend using them to help you with this second part. There seems to be too much self-hate in the hearts of so many of us.